Latest podcast now out
IN the latest episode of apolitical, former Labour councillor and leader of Glasgow City Council Steven Purcell talks about the current landscape for Scottish Labour and the prospect of an SNP-led council in Glasgow.
Topics discussed include:
His early interest in politics and the politicians that inspired him;
– The roles he held on Glasgow City Council and his rapid progression to Leader;
– His parliamentary ambitions;
– The truth behind allegations of gangland influence on council decisions;
– The end of his time as Leader and whether there are any prospects of a political comeback;
– How SNP-led councils could affect the relationship between the Scottish Government and local authorities after the 2017 local elections;
– Labour’s prospects of retaining control of Glasgow City Council in that election;
– The strategy he’d deploy were he Labour Leader in Glasgow today;
– Whether Councillors should be full-time positions and how that would affect the level of available talent and voter engagement with local politics;
– His diagnosis and analysis of the present state of play for Scottish Labour.
Picture courtesy of apolitical