Beyond the Noise with David Jamieson is a weekly podcast with CommonSpace journalist David Jamieson, where he gets behind the 24/7 outrage-driven social media news circus and gets to heart of issues, trying to finding the substance behind the headlines.
IN THIS episode, Jamieson discusses the UK Labour conference with Scottish Labour Glasgow West candidate and Councillor Matt Kerr. Beginning with the key battles faced by the left at the Liverpool conference, they discuss the party’s democracy review and the idea of a second vote on leaving the EU.
They then debate some of the problem’s facing Labour in Scotland and whether the Corbyn project can improve its position north of the border.
Among other things they discuss:
– 3:30 Attempts to democratise the party through reselecting MP candidate for elections.
– 13:00 Whether the party conference will vote for a second vote on leaving the EU and what the consequences might be for Britain and Scotland.
– 22:22 Does Corbyn’s project really place many hopes in winning back Scotland, or are its sights set elsewhere.
– 28:01 Does Labour understand the process by which it shed so much support in Scotland?
– 35:14 Is Richard Leonard really up to the task of rebuilding Labour’s fortunes in Scotland?
Picture: Lorna Miller
HELP US BUILD A COMMON FUTURE TOGETHER: Support our work at allofusfirst.org/donate