David Jamieson starts a new regular podcast for CommonSpace getting behind the noise of the 24/7 social media outrage culture and getting to the heart of the big issues in politics
Beyond the Noise with David Jamieson is a new weekly podcast with CommonSpace journalist David Jamieson, where he gets behind the 24/7 outrage-driven social media news circus to the heart of the big political issues, finding the substance behind the headlines.
In this first episode, Jamieson looks at Labour’s anti-Semitism crisis, which has hit its apex this week with Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s intervention.
Jamieson explains why he considers the claims to be “nonsense” and “mainly just wrong”, a smear campaign which has morphed and mutated to the point of absurd claims about Jeremy Corbyn “without any reference to evidence”.
Key issues Jamieson explores in the podcast are:
– How the smear campaign has become increasingly unhinged and blatantly anti-Palestinian, including Margaret Hodge’s latest comments on Sky News.
– Netanyahu’s role in this affair, including his controversial comments about the holocaust and his alliance with Hungarian ruler Viktor Orban.
– Jewish opposition to the anti-Semitism claims in Labour
– The historical development of anti-Semitism and racism in Europe on the right and the left from the early 20th century up to the present
– How the crisis has played out in Scottish politics
– The apparent inability of the Left to be able to be able to respond effectively to the crisis, and what that says about contemporary left politics
Picture courtesy of mrgarethm
ENJOY COMMONSPACE? Get our daily newsletter so you can keep up-to-date