Signal of intent as SNP announces team covering all policy areas
THE SNP has announced an extensive leadership and spokesperson team at the House of Commons, covering both reserved and devolved matters.
The party has seen its number of MPs grow from six to 56 and it is expected to have representation on all Westminster committees.
Stewart Hosie remains as deputy group leader and responsible for the economy while former leader Alex Salmond has the international affairs brief. Eilidh Whiteford continues with social justice and welfare, newly-elected surgeon Philippa Whitford will take charge of health while Joanna Cherry QC is covering justice and home affairs.
Like the Scottish Government cabinet, the 17-strong leadership team combined with the 16 spokesperson team is gender balanced.
Group leader Angus Robertson said that the leadership and spokespeople team “bring together a great range of talents from the record-sized SNP group in the House of Commons. We will coordinate and develop the policy priorities of the SNP at Westminster while working closely with colleagues in the Scottish Government, Scottish Parliament, European Parliament and local government”.
Who are the SNP leadership at Westminster?
– Angus Robertson MP – Group Leader and Constitution
– Stewart Hosie MP – Deputy Group Leader and Economy
– Eilidh Whiteford MP – Social Justice and Welfare
– Joanna Cherry MP – Justice & Home Affairs
– Alex Salmond MP – International Affairs and Europe
– Brendan O’Hara MP – Defence
– Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh MP – Trade and Investment
– Hannah Bardell MP – Fair Work and Employment
– Drew Hendry MP – Transport
– Callum Kerr MP – Environment and Rural Affairs
– Callum McCaig MP – Energy and Climate Change
– Carol Monaghan MP – Public Services and Education
– Michelle Thomson MP – Business, Innovation and Skills
– Philippa Whitford MP – Health
– Pete Wishart MP – Shadow Leader of the House of Commons
– Mike Weir MP – Chief Whip
– Deidre Brock MP – Scottish Parliament/Scottish Government Liaison
Who are the SNP spokespeople at Westminster?
Scotland and Constitution Spokespeople
-Margaret Ferrier MP, SNP Spokesperson on the Scotland Office
– Tommy Sheppard MP, SNP Spokesperson on the Cabinet Office
– Deidre Brock MP, SNP Spokesperson on Devolved Government Relations
– Kirsty Blackman MP, SNP Spokesperson on House of Lords
– Roger Mullin MP, SNP Spokesperson the Treasury
– John Nicolson MP, SNP Spokesperson on Culture, Media and Sport
– Alison Thewliss MP, SNP Spokesperson on Cities
Social Justice and Welfare
– Ian Blackford MP, SNP Spokesperson on Pensions
– Natalie McGarry MP, SNP Spokesperson on Disabilities
Justice and Home Affairs
-Stuart McDonald MP, SNP Spokesperson on Immigration, Asylum and Border Control
– Angela Crawley MP, SNP Spokesperson on Equalities, Women and Children
– Anne McLaughlin MP, SNP Spokesperson on Civil Liberties
– Stephen Gethins MP, SNP Spokesperson on Europe
– Patrick Grady MP, SNP Spokesperson on
– Lisa Cameron MP, SNP Spokesperson on Climate Justice
– Kirsten Oswald MP, SNP Spokesperson on the Armed Forces and Veterans
SNP Whips Office
-Mike Weir MP SNP Chief Whip
– Marion Fellows MP
– Owen Thomson MP
Picture by CommonSpace